Last Topic of the Year, due by Sunday, June 7:

Perhaps its time to pick out some favorite memories of Pine Point. Let us know about three (or two, or one, or fifty) of your fond memories of your time at our school. Don't worry about choosing a favorite. Just describe a few good memories. (Feel free to do more than one post as memories come back to you.)

Remember to check the rubrics (to the right). Contributions to the forum can be brief, but must be well thought out and carefully written. No typos or grammar errors, please.


Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Olivia's paragraph

Olivia Denison
Mr. Salsich
English 9
10 February 2009

Magic in Life:

A Paragraph About the Role that Magic Has Played in My Life

When I was growing up, my grandmother always used to say to me, “I’ll always be in your heart, even when I’m no longer with you.” During the month of February last year, she died suddenly without any warning. The night she died, her words kept reverberating (FAST) in my mind as I sat in the chair that she always sat in. It hurt to think about it, but it was also soothing to remember the words, even though she wasn’t there in person saying them. Every summer I go to Cuttyhunk Island, and while I’m there, I usually look for sea glass. I love walking on the beaches, finding sea glass, even the tiniest pieces ever found. I always have had a fondness (FAST) for rocks, as well. I like all the different shapes, colors and designs, and I can never resist bringing some home. Last summer, as I was walking along the quiet beach looking for sea glass, I spied a heart shaped rock. I picked it up, and traced the edge with my finger, admiring its beauty. As I gazed at the rock, the words, “I’ll always be in your heart, even when I’m no longer with you”, went through my mind, and I knew at that exact moment my grandmother was somewhere nearby. She wasn’t there in person, though I could see her, I could smell her, I could touch her, I could hear her,(ANAPHORA) and the rock was a symbol that she was there. Now, whenever I pick it up, my thoughts return to that moment and those words, always knowing that I possess a part of her in my hands, and in my heart.

No comments: