Last Topic of the Year, due by Sunday, June 7:

Perhaps its time to pick out some favorite memories of Pine Point. Let us know about three (or two, or one, or fifty) of your fond memories of your time at our school. Don't worry about choosing a favorite. Just describe a few good memories. (Feel free to do more than one post as memories come back to you.)

Remember to check the rubrics (to the right). Contributions to the forum can be brief, but must be well thought out and carefully written. No typos or grammar errors, please.


Sunday, April 5, 2009

Zack's Post

I'm not trying to be a devil's advocate or rain on anybody's parade but a lot of what people already talked about, standing up for people, public speaking, admitting mistakes, getting out of bed everyday, I just do it because it has to be done, I more afraid of the consequences there are if I don't or because I'm hungry when I get up in the morning and if I don't walk as far as the kitchen I will never eat anything. More often in my life courage is less about standing up to a fear as much as just being too stupid to know it's there. I love climbing and I love to cheat death when I climb, but as often as not when I come to a place that's at the edge of my ability and there's a pretty good chance of getting hurt I back down. The gutsy moves come when there is no risk, when I'm invincible. I will either be overconfident in my ability or just choose to ignore the risk. Prime example, a few minutes ago I repelled out of my bedroom window on a complete whim. I was fine, but I was stupid. I didn't tell anybody what I was doing and even when I was taking safety precautions, I really had no idea if my bedpost could take the shock of a fall or if a figure-eight not was really the best to make an anchor with. I didn't have a secondary safety line so if my grip slipped I'd fall all the way, and to top it all off I hadn't repelled with a figure eight device before. The reason I did it was because I was convinced in my own ability and that I probably wouldn't suffer more than a sprained ankle in a fall (wrong! I definitely would have broken something looking at it from below). So I guess if doing something this stupid was courageous to do it was because I had to not even let fear enter the picture. Subconsciously I knew what I was doing, but I was just so gung-ho that it never occurred to me to be scared. And now that I've done it once, I think I'll go try again.

No comments: