Last Topic of the Year, due by Sunday, June 7:

Perhaps its time to pick out some favorite memories of Pine Point. Let us know about three (or two, or one, or fifty) of your fond memories of your time at our school. Don't worry about choosing a favorite. Just describe a few good memories. (Feel free to do more than one post as memories come back to you.)

Remember to check the rubrics (to the right). Contributions to the forum can be brief, but must be well thought out and carefully written. No typos or grammar errors, please.


Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Zack's Paragraph

Zachary Dameron
February 10 2009
Mr. Salsich
Enlgish 9

Beyond The Beyond:
A Paragraph Placing Magic in My Own Life

Magic is everywhere we choose to put it; it is a silent force that we can say does the impossible because we do not believe we can do it. I find the magic in my life at the very edge of and then beyond what I would normally say is within my abilities. The cliffs and boulders where I rock climb are always sewn with magic. From the bottom, I will call an ascent impossible; once I am in the middle, on the rock, every nook and cranny becomes viable, nothing will kill me, and then, at the top, the ascent, again, looks impossible. In that magical middle area, my fingers and the rock seem glued together, and I can hurl myself ever higher, weightless. On the rainy days though, when the rock is too slippery, I might sit alone and scribble small stories or poems on little scraps of paper. I let words float into my head and then I can contort them, twisting and bending, until they drop out of my pencil onto the paper; their meanings become new and fantastic, barely comprehendible, even by me the author. Before I see the words on the paper, I have trouble believe language could be so flexible and powerful, transcending (FAST) the original meaning of the writer. The magic continues in soccer: my foot arriving with precision before I think to move it, in math: my mind working in leaps and bounds to catch some illusive (FAST) answer, and even humor: quips and puns bursting forth from some forgotten cavity of my brain to leave a friend in stitches. These are not normal day to day occurrences but instead, are occasional flashes of true potential carrying me briefly forward only to all too soon vanish and leave me to be my normal self. I know that it is magic causing what I do when it should be impossible, when there is no fear of pain, no fear of failure, no fear of ridicule, only the fear of stopping to feel the magic ebb away. (Anaphora)

No comments: